MicroShield® is a comprehensive photon/gamma ray shielding and
dose assessment program that is widely used for designing shields, estimating
source strength from radiation measurements, minimizing exposure to people, and
teaching shielding principles.
MicroShield® is useful to health physicists, waste managers, design engineers,
and radiological engineers and only requires a basic knowledge of radiation and
MicroShield® is fully interactive and utilizes extensive input error checking.
Integrated tools provide graphing of results, material and source file
creation, source inference with decay (dose-to-Ci calculations accounting for
decay and daughter buildup), projection of exposure rate versus time as a
result of decay, access to material and nuclide data, and decay heat
MicroShield's® Features include:
- Full Microsoft Windows® 7, Vista® and XP® compatibility.
- Ability to export results using Microsoft Office® 2003, 2007, 2010.
- Ability to utilize international numerical formats (decimal commas, etc.).
- Sixteen geometries that accommodate offset dose points and as many as ten standard shields plus source self-shielding and cylinder cladding.
- The geometry display for entry is re-scaled as dimensions are entered. Dimensional data are accepted in meters, centimeters, feet, or inches.
- Library data (radionuclides, attenuation, buildup, and dose conversion) reflect standard data from ICRP 38 and 107 as well as ANSI/ANS standards and RSICC publications.
- Includes custom materials based on ANSI/ANS-6.4.2-2006.
- Increased the maximum number of custom materials allowed (200).
- Buildup and uncollided results are both automatically and simultaneously calculated.
- Provides the ability to design and save up to eight custom materials for any case to add to the twelve built-in materials.
- Sources may be created and saved and moved among cases, either as nuclides or energies, and as concentrations or totals. Several photon grouping methods are provided including custom (user defined).
- Source decay can be calculated with daughter products generated.
- As many as twenty-five energy groups (with an energy range of 15 keV to 10 MeV) may be used; input may be concentration or totals.
- Sensitivity of exposure rate to time, source dimension, shield thickness, or distance can be investigated. Integration conversion verification can be
conducted with sensitivity to quadrature order.
- Decay heat/energy can be calculated.
- Provides the ability to define multiple (up to six) dose points for a case for almost all geometries
- Provides the ability to operate on multiple cases simultaneously.
Geometry - Source Configurations Included:
Rectangular Area - Vertical
Rectangular Area - Horizontal
Cylinder Volume - Side Shields
Cylinder Volume - End Shields
Cylinder Surface - Internal Dose Point
Cylinder Surface - External Dose Point
Annular Cylinder - Internal Dose Point
Annular Cylinder - External Dose Point
MicroShield 9.0 New Features:
MicroShield® 9.0 includes the addition of the International Commission on Radiological Protection (ICRP) Publication 107 Nuclear Data Decay library as well as
- Full Microsoft Windows® 7, Vista® and XP® compatibility
- Ability to export results using Microsoft Office® 2003, 2007, or 2010
- International version with either French or German language software menus
- Enhanced customization of the results
ICRP Publication 107
ICRP Publication 107 (Nuclear Decay Data for Dosimetric Calculations, Annals of ICRP Volume 38 No. 3 2008) provides an updated nuclear library containing 1252 radionuclides of 97 elements. ICRP Publication 107 supersedes ICRP Publication 38 (1983) and both libraries along with the original Grove Library are provided with the software.
Full Microsoft Windows® 7, Vista® and XP® Compatibility
MicroShield® is now fully compatible with the following operating systems: Microsoft XP®, Microsoft Vista®, and Microsoft Windows® 7.
Enhanced Exporting of Results
You can now save all general results as a Microsoft Word®, Microsoft Excel®, HTML, or text files. MicroShield® now supports Microsoft Office® 2003, 2007, and 2010. Results that are saved as any of the first three file types are formatted and color coded for easy readability. The main results, results with and without buildup, and linear coefficients can all be saved out in the above formats.
International Language Version
The MicroShield® software is now available in English, French, and German languages. The majority of menus, captions, messages, and report results will display in the language of installed version. The user's manual is still only available in English.
Enhanced Reports and Options
The main results report now displays absorbed dose rates in air results in units of mrad/hr and mGy/hr as well as exposure rates in mR/hr. Exposure dose and fluence rates and the ICRP51 and ICRP74 results can now be customized on the dose equivalent report. The prompt for a New Project on startup can be turned on and off via the General Options settings. The default nuclide library (Grove Libary, ICRP38, or ICRP107) can now be set in the General Options Settings.
- Microsoft Windows® 7/Vista/XP
- Microsoft® Internet Explorer® Version 7 and above
For outputing results to Microsoft Excel® and Word®, Microsoft Office® 2003, 2007, 2010 is required
Download the MicroShield® Product Description here
- requires .